Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Man in the Window - Sitting Across the Table

Yesterday I pulled into McDonald's as is my habit, but this time I waited in a parking spot for the man in the window to arrive.  As I waited, I chatted with a friend on the phone, praying he would come and I would have the opportunity to talk with him.

Soon he came, right on schedule at 6:55.  I entered the store and found him settling in to his usual spot in the window.  Approaching cautiously but with a smile, I said, "May I?", indicating the empty seat across the table.  "Certainly.  Glad for the company," he replied.

I proceeded to tell him that I had noticed him over the past months as I made my routine stop for iced coffee.  He nodded, probably wondering why in the world I was now approaching him in this manner!  I ended by introductory remarks, saying that I pray for him whenever I spot him.  He smiled a beautiful grandfatherly smile, thanked me and said that was really nice of me to do.

He is older than I had thought previously.  His smile tells me that he is a contented individual, but perhaps a little reserved.  We discussed his "routine" since he obviously has some sort of schedule to keep, and I learned that he is a crossing guard.  He doesn't need to report until 7:35 so he and his friends gather in that spot at McDonald's to have coffee and catch up with news and one another's lives.  I was relieved to find out that he has friends he is meeting; from my brief observation, he always appears to be completely by himself.  But I was only getting part of his story!  On the mornings when I pass him by, the day is young.  And, to support his revelation, one of his cronies came to our area while I was still visiting with him.

We made introductions and chatted a bit about nothing in particular.  He told me just a bit about his family.  I left him with a scripture card containing John 3:16 as a reminder that he is a child of God, and therefore, important in the eyes of Jesus Christ our Lord.

As we parted, I said I would see him another day.  He replied that he surely hoped we would talk again.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you
wherever you go. --Joshua 1:9

Today I am praising God for the courage to step out of my comfort zone, as I talked with a stranger for whom I had been praying.  There can only be good things come from our conversation.  Think about it:  a stranger learned that another stranger had been praying for him; a stranger confirmed that God loves him; a stranger smiled as he shared a bit about his life and his family.  And I believe God smiled as two complete strangers met together for a brief moment in time, connected only by the power of prayer.

Whatever you have commanded us we will do,
and wherever you send us we will go. --Joshua 1:16

No comments:

Post a Comment