Saturday, October 1, 2011

It wasn't just art

Yesterday was the Annual Grief Seminar at Goshen College which I've attended since its inception in 2003.  Originally I went for the purpose of gaining more knowledge so that I might serve clients better in connection with my job.  Now I go to find some encouraging words not only for others, but also for myself and for those in my little world. I no longer work daily with death and those it leaves behind.  But I do have a passion for those affected by death and, therefore, the opportunity to find even one more book or one more article is a burning desire that continues to spur me forward.

With all of that in mind, I invited a friend who lost an adult son last November to accompany me on my day away.  She accepted and we chatted all the way there and back, about everything under the sun.  And we soaked up what tidbits of grief "stuff" that were spoken or presented, some of which was over our heads.  However, there was a workshop presenter who caught our attention and captured our interest quickly.  He uses the free expression of painting on art board as a way for clients to not only tell their stories but also to reframe their own lives since the death occurred.  In no way can I adequately describe how he does his amazing work for these grievers.  The finished works he brought to the seminar spoke volumes about the impact this simple exercise could have on an individual.

He told us a couple of their stories as he exhibited their works.  He spoke quietly and with feeling - it was easy to see his heart was wrapped up in the people he served.

My friend and I discussed him and his "ministry" (he never called it that, but I see it that way) as we drove home.  For him it was a natural progression from being a working artist to going into bereavement counseling.  Art is in his soul.  Taking the required classes and pushing toward completion of his degree demonstrated that his own interests were being set aside so that he might serve someone in need of his unique talents.  And in so doing, he was more fulfilled than he had ever been working as an artist.  I was moved to tears by the powerpoint pictures of his studio as we sat in the darkened classroom, listening to his stories about the people whose works were on display.  And in him I found a godly servant who went the extra mile to obtain an education so that others might benefit from his expertise.  All of that led me meditate on this verse:

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.   --Philippians 2:3

What if I did "nothing out of selfish ambition" just for one week?  What if I humbly considered others better than myself just for one week?

This blog is meant to not only provide me with a creative outlet, but also to encourage others.  Today, I encourage you to take Philippians 2:3 into your own heart and mind, and meditate on what it might mean for your life, just for one week.  There are days that I believe I do a pretty good job of putting others first, but there are many days that my own desires overtake me.  I want to want to do His will and to be less focused on myself.  Lord, help me, please, to do that this very day.

As far as Made to Crave goes today, let's put this verse into perspective in a personal way:  Although it will certainly benefit ME personally to lose weight and to decrease my lust for worldly "stuff", in the end it's about GOD.  For it was Him who made me; it was Him who called this body a temple to be honored and cared for.  It was Him who called me to serve others.  With a healthier body and mind - less focused on the desire for unhealthy food choices and less focused on acquiring "stuff" - I will be a better  child of God, better equipped, more thankful for His goodness and faithfulness. 

God continues to be my daily encourager in this effort.  Further down in Philippians 2, I find these words from verses 5 and 6:
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.

While I know that in this life I can never attain perfection, I am promised to be seen as one who emulates Christ if I call on Him, rededicate my life daily and confess my shortcomings.  Prayerfully I enter this day, confident that the blood of Jesus washed away my sins and now leads me forward in grateful service to His people.

What talent are you hiding that might encourage someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment