Monday, October 10, 2011

The nuts & bolts

Several of you have asked exactly what "eating plan" I am following. The answer is NONE.  I've alluded to this in past posts, but perhaps now it's time to explain exactly what I eat, when and how much.  So here's the nuts and bolts of my daily food intake (not diet).

I believe the Scriptures are clear about eating that which is "beneficial" to the body:

Everything is permissable - but not everything is beneficial.  Everything is permissable - but not everything is constructive.  Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.  Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."  --1 Corinthians 10:23-25

So, after reading Made to Crave, I started with this question: What foods available to me are most beneficial? 

From my past participation in Weight Watchers (thank you, Renee) and study of other materials as well, I can safely say that vegetables are an excellent food to include in my daily intake.  And the greener the better - more food value.  Those that are white or pale are starchier and less constructive. That does not mean I don't consume corn or potatoes, just that they are not in my daily selections.  I choose to consume them less frequently, based upon what I know about vegetables.  So vegetables of any description are high on my list of daily foods. 

Examples of vegetables that I most enjoy include: Brussels sprouts, asparagas, green beans, onions, fennel (yes it is tasty!~), tomatoes (actually a fruit but served as a vegetable), carrots,  squash of several varieties, mushrooms, lettuces, peppers, broccoli, celery.  I am blessed to have a good personal relationship with vegetables. I hear from some of you that vegetables are not your "thing".  But try a new one every week or so - maybe your taste buds have matured since you were a toddler!  Beets are loaded with nutrients and very few calories!  Try beets if you have not done so recently.

Second on my list of beneficial foods is fruit.  With fruit I am more selective, but still there is plenty of choice available most of the time.  Fresh is best but many canned fruits are now packed in fruit juice instead of a sugary syrup so this makes them much lower in calories.  My favorite fruits include strawberries, blueberries, red raspberries, apples, pears, peaches, cantalope.

Protein is important for building healthy cells.  I am limiting my portions of meat but daily have some kind of protein.  On a typical day, I have an egg of some preparation or peanut butter, chicken, pork or beef.  Also included in protein but crossing over into dairy is cheese - especially cottage cheese. 

Dairy is also a proven beneficial food group.  Daily I have some kind of dairy product, either lowfat/fat free yogurt or milk. 

Carbohydrates are also important to keep me filled up and to provide lasting energy.  Included in my list of carbs are Sandwich Thins, low calorie high fiber bread, Cheerios, oatmeal.

Eating something sweet is an area that I just could not give up for the long-haul!  So I perused the grocery shelves and found ginger snaps which speak to my desire for something sweet, savory & crunchy!  The sweetness is minimal, but these little cookies fill the bill for all 3 of these areas.  I carry a few ginger snaps in the car for those times when I must have a sweet snack.  I eat 1 or 2, no more than that, at a time.  In addition, I eat Quaker low calorie granola bars (chocolate chip are my favorite) a few times a week to satisfy that sweetness and they are high in nutrition as well.

I've also become fond of the 100-calorie packs of almonds to satisfy my need to crunch.  And nuts are a good source of nutrition as well.  Along with almonds, I've found a couple of mixtures of trail mix that include dried berries and I eat that sparingly as well.  Occasionally I enjoy popcorn (yes, popped in oil) but not as often as I once did.

Beverages include ice tea, coffee, ice coffee, water, Crystal Lite.

Quantities were more problematic than the food choices when I began depending upon God to be my Guide.  For me, the best rule of thumb is not to eat nearly as much as I once did, no matter what food I am consuming.  Even if it's mixed vegetables for lunch with cottage cheese and 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich... Eating more slowly helps me realize when I no longer feel hungry.  Frankly, and this is hard to admit, I finally learned what hunger feels like just a few weeks ago.  The ugly truth is that for years I've eaten my way through the day, from breakfast until bedtime, often consuming food out of habit or simple "desire" than hunger.

I am learning that I do not require nearly as much food as I once believed to be satisfied.  No second helpings, no matter what.  And leaving food on my plate is not a sin.  The leftovers are great for my next day's lunch.

For me (and your metabolism may be far different than mine), it seems to work out best to have my largest meal at midday.  So my supper is fairly limited, often consisting of only vegetables and/or salad.  I enjoy snacks everyday, mostly celery sticks (the precut varieties are amazingly crunchy and fresh and I don't have to clean the celery to enjoy it!), an apple, a few pretzels, ginger snaps, almonds or trail mix.  Also for me, evening snacks have been nearly eliminated.  I have been an "evening snacker" all my life!  And for my own health, I had to make the painful decision to stop because I know I'm not going to "exercise it off" after 9 P.M.!

So, there you have it.  It may not be what works for you, but this is what works for me.  And, oh by the way, prayers of thanksgiving are always on my lips.  With every bite, with every hunger pang, I am thanking God for His abundant provision and the discipline to "put my fork down". 

A vital part of this entire journey is having an accountability partner.  Lysa suggests it in her book, and I've found this little added feature to be extremely helpful.  Now, I not only have one partner, but two.  So each morning (without fail), I weigh on the Wii where my BMI is also calculated, and I immediately text my two buddies my loss/gain, my WEIGHT and my total loss.  These two women are my cheering section, and I am theirs.  There's something about reducing the whole process to numbers that helps provide a firm foundation even on days where my walk is not as unfaltering as others.  Little replies of "wahoo" and "go, Jesus Girl" keep me smiling and I know God is pleased that we share this common expedition with Him as our GPS.

You see, even though it's about shedding pounds and "stuff", it's not about me at all.  It's all about HIM and how He is truly my Portion and my Guide. When I pray throughout the day, I am fully aware that I am doing something that pleases Him.    And each day when I wake up, I thank Him for putting it into Lysa TerKuerst's mind and spirit to write Made to Crave.

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my  portion forever.  --Psalm 73:26

No comments:

Post a Comment