Tuesday, September 13, 2011

From faith to life?

In a really good novel I recently read these lines:
"...unless belief produced day-to-day trust in God,
it could not be considered faith."

What does day-to-day trust look like?  The list is endless.....

* trusting that I will wake up after a night of sleep
* trusting that my lungs, heart, brain, nervous system and vital organs will keep me alive for another day
* trusting that HIS grace is sufficient for me, today and always
* trusting that He will guide my thoughts and desires, Him always increasing, me always decreasing
* trusting that the world will continue to turn on its axis, the sun will continue to shine, and GOD will not sleep
* trusting that those on the battlefield will be protected by GOD Himself and one another

I'm all over the place with this thought.  There are far too many possibilities to list.  But this evening, I am focusing on this one:

* the belief that I can trust GOD to carry me through change - I have faith that He can and will continue to do so because He loves me

Let's face it: GOD could, right now at this minute, redesign this human body of mine into a perfect size 6 with no hills and bumps, no bulges and dents, no muffin top or unsightly dimples in places they are not very attractive.  But His will for me is that I lean on Him for strength to make this temple into something healthier and more pleasing to my Heavenly Father.  I have serious doubts that a size 6 is in my future in THIS life, but there is lots of room for improvement between my current size and the ethereal size 6.  No, a miracle of a new earthly body is not going to happen.  Plain and simple.

I needed a biblical perspective for relying on GOD for food so I turned to the story of the Israelites AGAIN, how the people rose up against Moses and Aaron, complained about their plight of needing food (Exodus 16:2-4), and how God rained down manna.  I've written before about this instance on my blog.  It has a different slant this time......

God used the Israelites' food issues to depend upon HIM daily.

I believe that I can trust completely in my Heavenly Father for the food I need.  This belief must become FAITH for me to continue an eating "plan" that is not a plan at all.  It is simply TRUSTING God to say "You've had enough for now, My child.  Put down your fork.  There will be other meals.  Soon."

On my own, I cannot do this.  I have tried - I have cried - I have wailed - I have complained - I have pouted - I have wailed again.  On my own power, I cannot do this. But by faith I can continue to trust GOD day-to-day to show me His willpower in the area of food.  My willpower is worthless and of no use.  His willpower is perfect. And it is sufficient for me.

Last evening at a casual dinner with some old friends, I received a small gift from the only gentleman in the group.  It is a beautifully crafted card.  Inside the card he had personally inscribed these words:

"Let us in peace eat the food that God has provided for us. 
Praise be to God for all his gifts." --Armenia

How much more plain can this food issue be?  Read those lines again.  I praise God for all his gifts.  And I thank Him for friends who are His instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment