Monday, September 5, 2011

McManna Happy Meals

I've reached the point in this book (Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst) that things are getting serious, I mean serious.  She is hitting all my buttons and providing Scripture to show me the ugly truth about craving things that are not beneficial to me.

From the book:
They (the Israelites) were never to gather up extra and build storehouses of manna supplies where they could set up drive-thru windows for McManna Happy Meals. No, God wanted them to take only their portion for one day.  The next day they would come to Him and again receive their daily portion."

Ok, for starters: Has Lysa been peeking inside my purse?  The extra candy bar, bag of pretzels, hard candy or Tootsie Roll Midgies have been there for food "emergencies".  Ouch!  While there is nothing inherently wrong with having any of these items in my possession, the hoarding has become a problem in itself - we can discuss the nature of those particular items at a later time.  For now, the hoarding is the issue.

As for going to God for my daily portion?  Well, I've had admirable intentions and sometimes even carried through at meeting with Him privately before my day gets underway... for limited times.  I am easily distracted and seem to get caught up with the getting ready part of the day, and then I'm off and running to town and work once again.

Sigh.  So here I am at a crossroads.  His voice is loud and clear, coming through this book and the wisdom of one of His own children who has learned some lessons the hard way herself.

"You shall have no foreign god among you; you shall not bow down to an alien god.  I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt.  Open wide your mouth and I will fill it."  --Psalm 81:9-10

There it is.  All I need to DO is get myself up every morning and go to Him for my daily portion before anything else gets in the way... before the busyness of the day grabs my attention... before planning lunch or dinner clouds my thinking... before emailing my kids and friends take my precious time.

As I said a few days ago, I am learning to let God have all of me.  A work in progress!  Life is a process.  Today I am thankful it is not a "done deal".  There is still hope, because the sun came up today and God is still in the Heavens.  He may be smiling at my child-like ways, but He loves me just the same.

"For he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things" --Psalm 107:9

What "manna" do you long for most from God?  I invite your comments.....

No comments:

Post a Comment