Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Made for holiness

"It is good for God's people to be put in a place of longing so they feel a slight desperation.  Only then can we be empty enough and open enough to discover the holiness we were made for."  --Lysa TerKeurst

To be completely honest, I had never considered the prospect that I WAS CREATED for holiness.  Ok, I read it somewhere in the Scriptures that we are to "be holy" as the Lord is holy.  But holiness is a BIG word which means to be set apart for His purpose.  Me?  Created for holiness?

Through studying Made to Crave, certain truths such as this one are being awakened in my soul.  Things I had HEARD or READ but never truly took in or comprehended.  You see, to say that the LORD GOD who created the universe wants ME for His purpose is quite humbling and a little frightening.  If He has created me for His purpose - if He has set me apart to be holy as He is holy, then much is expected from me, much more than I have ever before been willing to give.

Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.  --2 Corinthians 7:1

Out of reverence for God... hmmm. There's no way around it.  What I have been doing for most of my adult life has been offensive to God.  By taking liberties with all of the less than healthy food choices available to me, by failing to exercise (sigh), by failing to develop discipline... I have been showing irreverence toward God.  My heart hurts to think I have caused Him grief.  Yet these choices are clearly not His will for me.  So, an abrupt about-face is in order.  Ask me if I'm ready for this change, and the response is a resounding NO.  But God expects me to act on this information - not just read it and put Lysa's book back on the shelf.  Since He made certain that it got into my hands in the first place, it's readily apparent that I am to be a doer of the Word, not just a hearer. (that's in the Bible somewhere, too)

Today's effort to sneak up on holiness involved food choices.  I was tempted by hot dogs, peanut M & Ms, real Coke and cookies.  But with the Creator of the universe encouraging me forward, I denied myself these tasty treats and chose salad, lowfat yogurt, a rice cake and celery.  The taste buds are still surprised.  And they are in for further surprises in the days ahead.  This is my journey.  But God is my Guide.  To stop along the way at the Buffet of the Forbidden Feast would disappoint Him, and would keep me from entering the Promised Land of Holiness.  He would soon grow tired of my circuitous route to the city limits!

As Lysa points out, becoming holy is not necessarily pleasant.  Like her, I want my very next choice to be high in calories, fried in fat and drizzled with something that makes my taste buds sing.  Yet do I want the victory?  You bet.  But I am a weak, pathetic human being who has been spoiled.  I can say I have been influenced by the media, advertisers, food artists, my family, the snack aisle at Kroger and the Food Network for my sordid past, but they cannot control my future.

Get this:
I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. (!) emphasis added Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. --Romans 6:19

This verse is aimed right at me in the 21st century, in Indiana, USA.

Make no mistake: I am not talking to anyone but myself here!  I know that I need to make strides toward holiness.  Discipline will be important on this journey.  I need for God to super-size my portion of discipline! I start projects with vigor and good intention, but fizzle before the finale.  Yet, He can show me how to develop this trait that I lack. And He will do so with the love and patience of a compassionate Father.

This day I am thankful that we serve a God of miracles!  Let the miracles unfold in my struggle. 

Lord, make me holy as You are holy.  Change my heart and mind. Change my focus and thinking.  Change my desire for the tasty treats that have brought me to this place.  Change my taste buds that they might no longer call me to destruction.  In the name of the One who loves me more than His very own life,  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment