Sunday, September 4, 2011

What does it mean to be beautiful?

Today's question can be answered in a number of ways... at any given time, even I have more than one answer to this simple question.

We live in a culture that demands women be preoccupied with their appearance: hair, nails, make up, wrinkles, weight, clothing, accessories and the most attractive friends.  It's all for the purpose of looking good, but what lies within?  Where is my beautiful truly located?

Ralph Waldo Emerson put it like this: "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."

Sounds like he might be on to something, and I'm betting he and God have a similar view on this topic.  Even if the movement of my upper arms can create enough wind to blow down a small building, my arms are not what matters.  And even if the cellulite in my thighs resembles cottage cheese, that doesn't matter either.  And even if my stomach has a life of its own and ignores my efforts to keep it corraled and hidden, that doesn't matter either.

And neither does it matter if my skin is perfect, without blemish or flaw; my hair is silky and shimmers in the noonday sun; my jeans are a size 10; my wardrobe of purses matches my collection of shoes; the number on the scale is lower than the day I was married... none of this is beauty in the truest sense of the word.

My beautiful must be what God put within me the moment I was created in HIS image.  Don't get me wrong: I'm as vain (or more so) than the next gal walking down the street, but I'm trying to change that.  With God's help, I am making strides toward making my inner self into what He would call "beautiful" on any day, whether my hair is frizzy or not.

Made to Crave is certainly speaking to my heart in this particular area.  I'm learning to Remain in Jesus Christ for all my fulfillment. I'm learning to Remain in Jesus Christ for my personal peace and contentment.  I'm learning to Remain in Jesus Christ and let the world go by.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord.  "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  --Isaiah 55:8-12

Oh God, YOU are so beautiful to me...  make me into Your image.

No comments:

Post a Comment